Roger c. Sohn, MD
Dr. Roger Sohn is a double fellowship trained orthopaedic surgeon who specializes in conditions of the shoulder and arm. He has been named one of Orange County’s Top Doctors by his peers and the Orange County Medical Association. He has devoted his professional career to providing state of the art treatments for patients with shoulder conditions.
Dr. Sohn received his MD degree at Loma Linda University where he graduated with honors. Following his orthopaedic residency at Harbor-UCLA Medical Center, he completed a fellowship in upper extremity surgery at UC Davis and a sports medicine fellowship at Lake Tahoe Orthopaedic Institute. He is board certified and holds a certificate of additional qualification in sports medicine.
Through his training and professional career, Dr. Sohn has worked to remain on the leading edge of shoulder surgery. In addition to more common treatments, Dr. Sohn is able to perform technically demanding surgeries such as arthroscopic Latarjet procedures, shoulder tendon transfers, and suprascapular nerve releases. Despite tackling some of the most complicated cases, his patient rated outcomes are excellent. Dr. Sohn holds a patent for instruments used in shoulder replacement. His shoulder replacement patients have been tracked in the nation’s largest joint replacement registry with top rates of successful outcomes.
Dr. Sohn enjoys taking time to learn about his patients. He believes his job is to listen to patients so he can accurately diagnose their problems and offer a custom treatment plan.
“I learned, early on, that the most important thing I can do is to listen to patients. I am able to learn so much more if I don’t interrupt my patients. I ask lots of questions in my encounters so I can gain an understanding about a patient’s unique problem or condition.” - Dr. Sohn
Dr. Sohn tracks patient outcomes in order to ensure the best results and to continuously improve patient care.
Dr. Sohn earned his MBA at UC Irvine where he learned about value based medicine. He studied the world’s best health care systems and aims to bring those principles to benefit his patients.
Loma Linda University School of Medicine
Harbor UCLA Medical Center
Fellowship in Upper Extremity Surgery
UC Davis Medical Center
Fellowship in Sports Medicine and Arthroscopy
Lake Tahoe Orthopaedic Institute
Health Care Executive MBA
UC Irvine Paul Merage School of Business
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery: CAQ in Sports Medicine
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Board Certified and participating in Maintenance of Certification
- Certificate of Additional Qualification in Sports Medicine
- Orange County Medical Association “Top Doctors” 2021 award
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honors Society LLU
- Beta Gamma Sigma Honors Society UC Irvine
- Sourcing and Standards Team for Shoulder Arthroplasty
- Vice chair for Kaiser Permanente 2013-2017
- Research Awards (Loma Linda University and Harbor-UCLA Medical Center)
- Hobbies – Surfing and woodworking
Consultant – CSI (CBS) Script reviewer and writer’s consultant
Consultant – CSI Miami (CBS) Script reviewer and writer’s consultant
Consulant/Medical Expert –Univision, Despierta America
Advisory Board – Saddleback College Disables Student Programs and Services
- 1996 – Present
Inventor/3D Designer – 3D modeling and prototype design
- Shoulder Reamer Devices, System Including the Same, and Related Methods.
- US Patent No. 9,737,313
- Hand-e Theater: Scapular Open Reduction and Internal Fixation – The Modified Judet Approach.
- Peer reviewed video presentation for ASSH
- Topical and Intravenous Tranexamic Acid are Equivalent in Shoulder Arthroplasty. Matthew Budge, MD and Roger Sohn, MD
- Poster Presentation
- Tranexamic Acid Use in Revision and Complex Shoulder Arthroplasty Demonstrates Low Transfusion Rates and Postoperative Blood Loss. Matthew Budge and Roger Sohn
- Poster Presentation
- The Effect of Humeral Version Cut Angle on Amount of Bone Removal in Total Shoulder Arthroplasty. Roger Sohn, MD, Edward H. Yian, MD
- Comparison of Metacarpal Plating Methods.
- Peer reviewed publication in JHS With Robert Szabo, et al.
- Median Nerve Compression: Proximal and Distal
- Chapter in Master Skills in Nerve Repair. With Robert Szabo, MD Edited by David J. Slutsky, MD and Thomas Trumble, MD
- Growth Patterns in PFFD Limb Segments. Poster presentation with Hugh G. Watts and Anthony Scaduto, Shriners Hospital Los Angeles.
- Dorsal Approach for Transscaphoid Perilunate Dislocation: A Review of Results. With Gregory Rafijah, MD
- Poster presentation at ASSH
- Calcaneal Bone Mineral Density Increase In The Dominant Heel of Figure Skaters.
- With Leisure Yu, MD
Awards and Activities
Interests and Additional Extracurricular Activities
To Schedule a Consultation With Dr. Sohn, Please Call please call or contact us